cyber armsVirtual Private Network abbrivation of VPN. It provides an opportunity to make a safe and private network connection when a person is using a public network. It allows a user to get secure and encrypted data between the computer and the internet. VPN hides the true identity of a user so they can surf the internet without the fear of a third party tracking their online activities. A VPN gives a user the authority to have a safe internet connection which is provided by the VPN host server and this allows the user to have access to many nonreachable sites as well.
How a VPN works:
The VPN host provides the user a direct internet connection through its server. Now the main source of your data is a VPN server. It hides the identity of a user so his activities on the internet such as transactions, websites visits, uploading, or downloading cannot be tracked by any third party or even by Internet Service Provider (ISP). While using a VPN all the traffic is routed through an encrypted virtual tunnel which separates the connection of a user through a public internet connection.
Terms use to understand VPN:
It is a process of converting information into a code to prevent unauthorized access.
It is a unique string of characters that identifies each computer over a network connection.
It stands for (Internet Services Provider).
A proxy hides your real identity on the internet. It hides your IP address, location, and activities.
It is software on a device that makes the connection to the internet easy and convenient.
Benefits of using a VPN:
Using a VPN provides a user with many befits which are as follows:
- It provides safety and security from hackers and snoopers. Because a public connection can be used by anyone and data sharing via public connection is always at a risk for hacking and leakage. So VPN provides a secure route to your internet surfing.
- Sometimes a user has to hide his information such as IP address, browsing history on Wi-Fi even at home. The VPN enables a user to disguise himself from third parties and even from the eye of ‘internet Service Provider.
- VPN provides a source of secure encryption. The data is encrypted end to end. Because a VPN provides a separate encryption key that is hidden from a public network connection.
- VPN server always belongs to another country. Whichever VPN you use, it will not expose your location or login activity. Some VPN servers do not save login IDs and some do store those but cannot share the IDs with the third party.
- Sometimes there is limited access to some content. This limit is to the extent of a certain region or a country. Through VPN regional content can easily be accessed.
- Many companies’ owners are at risk of privacy exploitation when it comes to remote work. With the help of a VPN, a person can get a private connection through a VPN server for secure encryption.
How to use VPN:
A VPN connection is going to provide you with a secure and encrypted connection provided by the VPN server. It encrypts the data with an encryption key which cannot be decoded without a particular key provided by VPN.VPN can be used in PCs, Laptops, and Mobile Phones. There are several steps given to surf the internet on VPN:
- Go online on your device.
- Start VPN software. It will provide a connection between the user and the VPN server. This VPN data is not accessible by ISP or third party
- Your device is now using VPN and you might be given a new IP address by the VPN server.
- You can now use the internet safely and securely via a VPN.
Types of VPN:
There are many types of VPN out there that are categorized according to the needs and preferences of users. These are PPTP (Point to point tunneling protocol), L2TP (Layer 2 Tunnel Protocol), SSTP, Open VPN, and many more. But we are only going to discuss the main four types because of their popularity:
SSL stands for (Secure Socket Layer) VPN. It is used whenever there is a need for remote work. Here the devices are enabled to form a connection with a VPN server via the web browser. It provides end-to-end encryption for data transmission between the client and a VPN server.
- Side-to-side VPN:
This type of VPN is usually used by companies having multiple workplaces when there is a need to access the data by its employees in different offices. This private network is designed to connect private intranet connection which allows the users to access resources of an organization. Here the company’s LAN is connected to its WAN.
- Client to server:
Having this type of connection enables the employees to have a direct connection in an office while being at home and it shows as if they are in their offices. Login is possible only after the configuration from the system.
- Mobile VPN:
Via mobile VPN a client can get access to a private connection via VPN to have a stable and secure internet connection and to have unlimited access to many restricted websites. On mobile phones, VPN software can easily be downloaded and can be used safely without any interruption.
VPN Consumer Usage:
The use of VPN has gotten down since 2020. The percentage of usage in 2020 was 49%. But it has decreased to 41% in 2021. Despite the increase in awareness about VPN among the new generation, it is seen a visible decrease in usage of VPN networks among adults. This is because most of the work of employees has shifted to the cloud and other drives. This has decreased the use of VPNs.
VPN (Virtual Private Network) provides a private and stable internet connection to the user. It establishes a private tunnel for a connecting route between a user and a VPN server. A VPN is used whenever a user needs to hide his IP address, identity, location, and other internet activities. It prevents the connection between hackers and other scoopers. Because the data is end-to-end encrypted and is not accessible even by the ISPs or third parties.